Filed under GTTV, Showcase, Sports

Holloway signs with OCU

From court to court, senior seeks success

Surrounded+by+family%2C+Senior+Zach+Holloway+signs+his+basketball+letter+of+intent+to+play+for+Oklahoma+Christian+University.+He+signed+with+OCU+Tuesday+afternoon+in+the+Groom+High+School+basketball+gym.+The+whole+school+came+to+celebrate+with+Holloway+as+he+starts+to+live+his+%22dream.%22+The+signing+table+included+these+family+members%3A+sister%2C+Brittany+Holloway%3B+mom%2C+Stephanie+Holloway%3B+senior+Zach+Holloway%3B+dad%2C+Jim+Holloway%3B+and+grandparents+Joyce+and+Bobby+McNabb.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Holloway signs with OCU

Surrounded by family, Senior Zach Holloway signs his basketball letter of intent to play for Oklahoma Christian University. He signed with OCU Tuesday afternoon in the Groom High School basketball gym. The whole school came to celebrate with Holloway as he starts to live his

Surrounded by family, Senior Zach Holloway signs his basketball letter of intent to play for Oklahoma Christian University. He signed with OCU Tuesday afternoon in the Groom High School basketball gym. The whole school came to celebrate with Holloway as he starts to live his "dream." The signing table included these family members: sister, Brittany Holloway; mom, Stephanie Holloway; senior Zach Holloway; dad, Jim Holloway; and grandparents Joyce and Bobby McNabb.

Renee Payne

Renee Payne

Renee Payne

Senior Zach Holloway reached new heights yesterday as he signed on to play college basketball with Oklahoma Christian University. Holloway, the 6′ 7″ post, has played for the Tigers for three years. All classes joined the 2:30 p.m.  signing party.

“I was so happy,” Holloway said. “Growing up as a kid shooting baskets in the front yard, I had always dreamed of that moment; it was really a dream come true.”

Holloway, named “District Defensive Most Valuable Player,” started the season with the dream of playing college basketball, he said. Now it’s a dream come true.

“From the interviews, to the signing, to the cake …,” Holloway said. “Can I say everything? That’s kind of cliche, but it really was everything … it was amazing.”

Throughout the years of struggles and hardships, including broken bones and sore muscles, he pushed on toward achieving his dream.

“I was really upset with the way I was playing during my junior year,” Holloway said.

Then, a coach intervened. Last year’s men’s basketball coach Matt Johnson called Holloway into his office.

“I expressed my concerns to him, and he looked me right in the eyes and said ‘Zach, you’re a great player. Defensively, you’re the best player that I’ve ever coached. You will play in college.’ That conversation really changed everything for me,” Holloway said.

Those words mattered.

“I was struggling with my basketball career, but after I heard him say that, I knew exactly what I had to do,” Holloway said. “I hit the gym more often, and went and got my dream.”

Knowing that he is going off to pursue his dreams, he was asked about taking it up a step, the NBA.

“That is probably not going to happen, but that sure would be cool,” he said while laughing.

Instead, Holloway said he plans to focus his eyes on a different type of court. Following obtaining an undergraduate degree, he plans to pursue a law degree and become a corporate attorney.

For more information, see ProNews 7’s story on the “ConnectAmarillo.com” website by clicking here.

1 Comment

One Response to “Holloway signs with OCU”

1. Frances Payton on April 25th, 2014 11:13 am

Yeah Zach! We are proud of you. Do your best at OCU and make more dreams come true in the future.

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Feb 13

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Feb 12

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Feb 7

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Feb 6

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Feb 5

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Feb 4

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Feb 1

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Jan 30

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Jan. 29

• Holloway signs with OCU

GTTV

Tigers Today – Jan 28

Holloway signs with OCU