Groom Students Participate in the Season of Giving

Hallie Thompson

More stories from Hallie Thompson

Back to Article
Back to Article

On Monday Dec. 9, junior Malie Williams, senior Kaylie Ritter and sponsor Jowannah Powers made a tip to Faith City to deliver the blankets donated. 92 blankets were donated.

On Monday Dec. 9, junior Malie Williams, senior Kaylie Ritter and sponsor Jowannah Powers made a tip to Faith City to deliver the blankets donated. 92 blankets were donated. "Collecting so many blankets made me feel good. Because even though we are a small town, we can sill make a difference." junior Malie Williams said.

Mrs. Powers

Mrs. Powers

Mrs. Powers

As the Christmas break approaches, the holiday spirit is in the air.  Some people plan shopping trips, travel arrangements, or even Christmas parties.  However, some folks plan how to survive the winter season.

The Amarillo Globe-News reported in February 2019 that there were “331 unsheltered persons, 306 sheltered, and 95 persons in transitional housing in Amarillo in 2019, versus 107 unsheltered and 558 persons in sheltered and transitional housing in 2018.”  The homeless population in Amarillo has grown, but it’s only a blip on the radar for the national statistics. The Council of Economic Advisers announced in September 2019 that “over half a million people go homeless on a single night in the United States.”

Groom school has been taking steps to help those in need. “Blanket the Needy” was a Groom school fundraiser for Faith City Mission that accepted new or gently used blankets for those going cold this holiday season. Faith City Mission “desires to take someone in that crisis situation and transition them to a life of Altruism, where they can live and thrive on their own.”

On Monday, December 9th, junior Malie Williams, senior Kaylie Ritter, and sponsor Jowannah Powers made a trip to Faith City Mission in Amarillo to deliver the 92 blankets that were donated to Groom school. “Collecting so many blankets made me feel good, because even though we are a small town, we can still make a difference,” junior Malie Williams said.

However, they didn’t stop there.  The Groom Student Council has started a canned food drive that runs from now until December 18th.  They are working hard to provide incentives to make this “the best canned food drive ever,” said Powers. The elementary winner will have a pizza party, and the junior high and high school will be taken to Buffalo Wild Wings for a lunch, paid for by the school.  The student council has also made it easy for the community to get involved. When paying to get into a basketball game, bring two cans of food for a dollar off the entry fee.