Tragedy in California

Staff Writer Kaylie Ritter writes about the mass shooting at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tragedy in California

Pictured above are cops securing the Borderline Bar and Grill after the mass shooting that occurred on Nov. 7, 2018. This tragedy left 13 dead and 18 injured.

Pictured above are cops securing the Borderline Bar and Grill after the mass shooting that occurred on Nov. 7, 2018. This tragedy left 13 dead and 18 injured. "I don’t believe in living my life in fear of what could be, but I personally make myself aware of my surroundings and the entry and exit points as well as being observant of persons who stick out or appear to have a separate agenda than those who are gathered," Carson County Sheriff Loren Brand said.

On Wednesday, Nov. 7, a mass shooting occurred at Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, California. It was reported that 18 people were wounded and 13 died. Many of those people were students at nearby colleges.

The gunman was a Marine, named Ian David Long. Long enlisted in the Marines when he was 18 and served until he was honorably discharged in 2013, five years later. He was in charge of hauling and shooting machine guns as part of the infantry. Long was reported to have PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder).

It was reported that Long was posting on social media about his sanity and other graphic things in the middle of his attack at the bar and grill.

A few of the survivors in Borderline also survived the Las Vegas shooting, on Oct. 1, 2017. One Vegas survivor did not survive the shooting at Borderline.

Mental health is often a factor in these tragic events. “Our society needs to recognize the absolute need for mental health care for our veterans and all persons who are in need of intervention and assistance,” Carson County Sheriff Loren Brand said. “My experience has shown me that it’s easier to get a person imprisoned than it is to get them mental health care.”

The shooting at Borderline is the 307th shooting this year. There have been a dozen shootings in the U.S. since Oct. 27. Since then, at least 79 people have been shot in less than three weeks.

Thousand Oaks was named the 3rd safest city in the United States, demonstrating that even the so-called “safest cities” are at risk. There are 37 days left in the year and 307 shootings have happened, averaging out to almost one shooting per day in the year.

A few police officers and security guards were also shot and killed on Nov. 7. The remaining of those 13 were college students.