Avoiding Tricks While Getting Treats

Junior Staff Writer Kaylie Ritter Informs Others on How to Stay Safe This Halloween

Back to Article
Back to Article

Avoiding Tricks While Getting Treats

Halloween is a lot of people's favorite holiday. It can be fun, but also dangerous. Follow these tips to stay safe this Halloween.

Halloween is a lot of people's favorite holiday. It can be fun, but also dangerous. Follow these tips to stay safe this Halloween. "I think Halloween can be a fun time for everyone, as long as you make sure to stay safe," junior Kaylie Ritter said.

Natasha Breen

Natasha Breen

Natasha Breen

Groom, Texas. When most people hear our town name they think of a small, supportive, safe and caring community. We are also quite sheltered here in Groom. However, just because we are sheltered and in a safe community, doesn’t mean bad things won’t happen. So here are a few tips for this Halloween to stay safe, and make the most out of your Halloween.

1. Head out early to make the most of the daylight. The earlier you start trick-or-treating the less time you spend in the dark. This is safer for younger children, drivers, and everybody in general.
  2. Make sure your costumes or children’s costumes don’t cover the eyes. Having clear vision helps kids stay safe in the light, and especially the dark.
  3. Look both ways before crossing the road. This one has been said a lot and should be engraved in our brains, but the world is full of crazy drivers. It is always best to look both ways before running to the next house.
  4. Check the porch light. If the porch light is on, they have candy for you. If the light is off, they don’t want any trick-or-treaters this year or they are out of candy.
  5. Have an extra bag or container for candy. If someone you don’t know is handing out candy, put it in the separate container. This makes it easier to check when you get home before you eat it. It’s always better safe than sorry.
  6. Travel in groups. This one cannot be emphasized enough. It is always better to travel in at least groups of 3-4. Having more people with you helps protect you and your friends.

Halloween can be a fun holiday for everyone. It’s also a dangerous one with kids running up and down streets. Always be aware of your surroundings and stay safe, to make the most of your Halloween.