Constructing New Ways

Katie Marshall

More stories from Katie Marshall

Picture Retakes
October 13, 2017
Bringing Home the Medals
October 12, 2017
Playoff Run Ends Short
February 24, 2016
Superintendent Jay Lamb gives senior Katie Marshall and junior Kodi Tiffin a tour around the current  construction . Lamb explains what's being built and the uses of it.

Superintendent Jay Lamb gives senior Katie Marshall and junior Kodi Tiffin a tour around the current construction . Lamb explains what's being built and the uses of it. " I foresee a lot of chaos and changes, but for the staff to stay reunited." Vanderpool said.

As we start our 2018-2019 school year, construction continues here at Groom ISD. We have talked to our administrators and asked how the construction is coming along. Our Principal Stephen Vanderpool told us that they are working on Pre-K, Kindergarten, new gym, SPED room, science labs and extra classrooms.

“I foresee a lot of chaos and changes, but for the staff to stay reunited.” Vanderpool said.

We asked Vanderpool what will be worked on next, and he said we would be working on our elementary end of the school. Our superintendent, Jay Lamb, informed us that our elementary kids will be using the portable buildings for class while there is construction on that end of the building.

Photo editor, Kodi Tiffin, and I went on a tour through the construction with Lamb. We saw all the new rooms that they have constructed so far. They still need to build the interior, but all the new rooms are looking great. Where they are building the new Pre-K and Kindergarten rooms, is where the storm hall will be. The building, is made out of  concrete, and we will be able to just sit in the hallway. Also, if the power goes out in town, those rooms will have a generator so their power will still be on. Lamb explained to us about a lounge that they will be having for the students to study, and for the pool to use during the summer when it is open.

“We are thinking of having a huge TV on the south wall of the lounge, and use it for students to come in and study during the school year,” Lamb told us.

Everyone has been excited for our new gym. We thought we would be able to use it by district basketball this year, but it won’t be ready till the end of January, beginning of February. It will be attached to the foyer that is accessible from the outside where the football stands will be. I asked Coach Black and Coach Young how they felt about getting the new courts, and gym.

“I am VERY excited for our new basketball court. Especially for the new gym that will go around it,” Black said.

“Ditto,” Coach Young said agreeing with Black.