Groom Teams and New Beams

Tiny Groom Texas Goes Under Construction.

Construction continues on the new gym.The construction is coming along perfect it should be completed in February of 2019.“Business as usual, the construction adds to the challenges but it will be a great year” Lamb said.  

Diana Surratt, Staff Writer

Despite all the events we have happening in Groom School this year, we also have construction going on. After having the same school for 60 years, although we have been open many more years, Groom School has been under construction multiple times adding on one part of the school at a time. In 1951 to 1968, the school we have today was finally finished. Later, there was air conditioning put in, the floors in the gym redone, and the track painted and redone.

“The new school costs 16.4 million dollars before and after construction.” Superintendent Jay Lamb said.

In year 2016, the bond was granted to build the new school. In 2017, they planned and made blueprints for the new facilities we would be gaining very soon. The construction finally started in the Spring of 2018. The construction started with the new Ag Barn. As a result, students had to find other places to hold their show animals as the new facility was being built.

“The barn is coming along slow, a lot of animals are homeless,” Ag teacher Kamy Whatley said. “I would like it to be further along.”

One thing that also affected more students was the sweltering summer without a pool. Due to the school construction, the pool was not accessible for the summer of 2018. Local student Kenny Blackwell stated “I don’t even know where to begin, honestly it sucked, there was nothing to do and summer was hot and boring.”

“I didn’t like it because it was a hot summer and there was nowhere local to cool off,” seventh grader Molly Babcock said.

The school should be completed in early 2020. The construction is coming along fast and easy, but eventually the construction will be inside the school and the younger students will be closer to high school students.

“Business as usual, the construction adds to the challenges but it will be a great year” Lamb said.