Never too “Young”

Chandra Rice

More stories from Chandra Rice

Tigers Today – Nov. 16
November 16, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 14
November 14, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 13
November 13, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 9
November 9, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 8
November 8, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 7
November 7, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 6
November 6, 2018
Coach and teacher Ashley Young poses for a picture. This is Young's first year teaching, but she's previously been a coach. Young lives in Groom with her two dogs, Gus and Bentley.

Coach and teacher Ashley Young poses for a picture. This is Young's first year teaching, but she's previously been a coach. Young lives in Groom with her two dogs, Gus and Bentley. "I am truly blessed to be apart of this community and school district," Young said.

New Tigerette in town

For this being the first year of teaching, for junior high teacher and assistant high school girls coach Ashley Young, has fit in with all the faculty and staff of Groom ISD. Young teaches sixth, seventh and eighth grade English Language Arts and Reading, as well as sixth grade Social Studies. Young shares classrooms with Spanish teacher Karissa Huffman and junior high science teacher Kamy Whatley.

“I want to have a lasting impact on my students in a positive way,” Young said. “I want them to know how much I care for them and want them to succeed.”

Young’s inspiration for being a teacher and coach comes from several people in her life but most of all her high school coach, Debbie Criswell. Young describes Criswell of having a servants heart and strives to teach her students as Criswell did her.

“The success of my students is my first priority,” Young said.

Every teacher has a goal, for Young it’s to have 90%, or better, of her students pass the STAAR test. Ultimately, she wants to help them succeed in all areas of school and athletics or what they’re doing. Young wants her students to see she has a servant’s heart and know they will always have someone to lean on when needed.

“My happiest moment so far on this journey was walking in on the first day and seeing all the kids that I will have the privilege to have in my class this year,” Young said.

Nothing compared to the feeling that Young had on her first day of school being a teacher. Young described it as a feeling that no words can explain.

“I would just like to share how excited I am about being here in Groom and to coach and teach with the best staff and students,” Young said.

Young loves walking and playing with her dogs, Gus and Bentley, drinking coffee with her friends and spending time with her family. She grew up in Amarillo and moved to Tulia in the eighth grade. Young graduated from Tulia and went to WTAMU to become a teacher. Young received her Bachelor’s degree in Education.

“I am truly blessed to be a part of this community and school district,” Young said.