Vanderpool Vendetta

This year's rookie class is absolutely stacked, according to columnist Adrian Hendricks. In the attached column, he and principal Stephen Vanderpool debate the merits of Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell.  Many of the rookies have come into their rosters and taken a leading role on the team.

This year's rookie class is absolutely stacked, according to columnist Adrian Hendricks. In the attached column, he and principal Stephen Vanderpool debate the merits of Ben Simmons, Jayson Tatum and Donovan Mitchell. Many of the rookies have come into their rosters and taken a leading role on the team. "It's the best rookie class since 2003," eighth-grader Damon Kuehler said,

Hendricks’ Squabble With Principal

Not many people in Groom ISD pay close attention to national sports. This means I don’t get a lot of opportunities to argue with people about their opinions, which I love to do. One person I do like to squabble with is our principal, Stephen Vanderpool. He has a lot of different opinions about the NFL and the NBA. That’s what this series is going to be about. Vanderpool will tell me one of his opinions about something in national sports, and I will either agree or disagree with it.

Rookie of the Year – Tatum, Simmons or Mitchell?
Vanderpool’s Vote – Tatum

This week’s statement from the principal was about the “Rookie of the Year” award debate, “Jayson Tatum has been a rookie that has consistently flown under the radar because he was on a good team,” Vanderpool said. “He still was a significant contributor on the No. 2 seed in the East, which makes him a better candidate than Donovan Mitchell, and he is an actual rookie, unlike Ben Simmons of the 76ers. Ben Simmons sat most of last year and should be classified as a second-year player,” he added.

This dispute is very big in the NBA right now. The first issue with this is that Ben Simmons is a rookie. I don’t really think he should be, but technically he is. The NBA has stated he is, so he is. While he’s been in the NBA for two seasons, this year marks the first one he’s actually played.

Hendricks Hits Right – Mitchell

The front-runners for this year’s rookie of the year award are Ben Simmons and Donovan Mitchell. The next best players would be Jayson Tatum and Lonzo Ball. Tatum has somewhat flown under the radar, but his stats don’t beat out Mitchell or Simmons. By stats, Simmons should win the ROTY (rookie of the year). But Simmons has had weapons all season in Markelle Fultz and the dominant Joel Embiid. After Gordon Hayward went from the Utah Jazz to the Boston Celtics, the Jazz really didn’t have anybody. Mitchell came in playing like a seasoned veteran. He led the Jazz to the playoffs, and now he is performing well in the playoffs. I think Donovan Mitchell should win the ROTY beating out Simmons because he led his team. He wasn’t just an assisting role like Simmons and Tatum.