Breaking NFL Normalities

Shaquem Griffin hasn't 
ever let himself be held back because of his hand being amputated. Griffin was drafted to the Seattle Seahawks in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Shaquem Griffin hasn't ever let himself be held back because of his hand being amputated. Griffin was drafted to the Seattle Seahawks in the 2018 NFL Draft. "It will be interesting to see if his astonishing college football stats will translate to the NFL," Junior Sports Editor Adrian Hendricks said,

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Adrian Hendricks, Sports Editor

Shaquem Griffin’s Single Handed Success

When you examine the average NFL linebacker, you don’t see much variety. There’s two types: the speed rusher and the power hitter.

The speed rushing linebacker is typically a smaller, faster, and less powerful defender. They normally play the outside linebacker position. They are good at dropping back into coverage to cover a tight end or rushing off the edge to get sacks. A good example of this linebacker is the Atlanta Falcon’s Vic Beasley.

The power hitting linebacker is typically a massive, strong and explosive player. They play the middle linebacker position. They generally are the players who sit back and wait on offensive players to try to cross the line of scrimmage and then lay them out. They are the big hitters. Their top speed isn’t always great but they are very explosive and quick.

There really aren’t any other types of linebackers. But there are a few that cross into both categories. These are the linebackers who can do anything you need them to. Good examples of this are Ray Lewis, Luke Kuechly and Sean Lee. This year’s draft was full of good linebackers who have great potential, but one has great skill and an even better story.

Shaquem Griffin played college football at the University of Central Florida where he lead the UCF Knights to an undefeated season and a Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl victory. Griffin was the defensive team captain. He had some crazy combine stats. He was previously labeled as a speed rush linebacker; he ran a 4.38 40 yard dash which is blistering fast for a linebacker. He put up a respectable 20 reps at 225 lb. for bench press which is very good for a “speed rush” linebacker. These stats basically mean he’s going to be both a speed and power linebacker.

Even with these stats and his success at UCF, he wasn’t chosen until the fifth round. Why? He only has one hand.

When Griffin was born with his twin brother, the Seattle Seahawks cornerback Shaquil Griffin, he had amniotic band syndrome. When he was four years old his parents found out he wanted to self amputate his fingers to get rid of the agonizing pain. They scheduled an amputation of his entire left hand the next day. From then on he never let the procedure hold him back. He’s had doubters along his journey but he’s always found a way to keep progressing and prove them wrong. He was drafted with the fourth pick in the fifth round to the Seahawks with his brother. The twins are now on the same team on the same side of that ball. Shaquem Griffin has inspired many people with his journey and success. Almost every NFL fan I’ve talked to is excited to see him play and hopefully succeed in the league.