Post 2018 NFL Draft Analysis

Saquon Barkley runs with power, speed and agility. Saquon averaged 100.8 rushing yards per game and had 43 touchdowns during his stay at Penn State.

Saquon Barkley runs with power, speed and agility. Saquon averaged 100.8 rushing yards per game and had 43 touchdowns during his stay at Penn State. "He Should've gone first, easy," 8th grader Damon Khueler says.

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Adrian Hendricks, Sports Editor

Hendricks Breaks Down Top Picks of the 2018 NFL Draft

Now that the NFL Draft is over, it’s fair to say it was a very interesting draft this year. I definitely think some teams could have taken better players in different spots, but I’m not their general manager. I do however have an opinion, so I’m going to analyze the first 3 picks of the 2018 NFL Draft.

The Cleveland Browns were in familiar territory again this year with the first pick. It’s normally safe to say you’re going to have the first pick when you go 0-16. I expected them to pick Denzel Ward, Bradley Chubb or Saquon Barkley. Normally I would’ve expected them to take a quarterback, but this year was different because they already acquired Tyrod Taylor. Tyrod led the Buffalo Bills to a positive season, something the Bills hadn’t seen in years. He is also young, at 28 he still has a very bright future. As you can see, the Browns already had a possible franchise quarterback, but the Browns decided to take Baker Mayfield. Simply put, that was a terrible decision. Baker is a very unpredictable person. He faced many disciplinary issues during his years with the University of Oklahoma. When you look at his build and athleticism, he definitely doesn’t fit the stencil for a first round quarterback. He does, however, have some eye-opening intangibles. You know what I’m talking about if you have ever seen him play. He has an innate ability to lead and make plays. When his back is against the wall, he typically delivers. But I still don’t think his style of play will work out in the NFL.

The New York Giants had the second pick in the draft and it made sense to take Saquon Barkley. Right now a running back was imperative to the team. The only other understandable option would’ve been a young quarterback that would eventually replace the aging Eli Manning. Picking Barkley was smart and if the Browns had taken the better pick in Barkley at the first pick, then I feel the Giants would have taken Sam Darnold. Either way the Giants got a great player in Saquon Barkley. When you look at his combine stats and his Penn State stats, he is an absolute monster. He is astonishingly strong, fast and smart.

The third pick in the draft belonged to the New York Jets. When you look at the Jets roster their defense is pretty respectable, except for their line backing core. It could use some help. They haven’t had a great quarterback in quite some time. It only made sense to take a linebacker or a quarterback. I would’ve liked to see them take the linebacker out of Georgia, Roquon Smith. That would’ve been smart considering this year’s class was full of adequate quarterbacks that could’ve been taken later in the draft. What would have been interesting to see was the Jets trade Josh McCown to the Ravens for the 32nd pick, and then the Jets could’ve taken Lamar Jackson. He would’ve added an exciting dynamic to the already explosive Jets roster.

The 2018 NFL Draft was an interesting one with numerous shockers and unexpected picks. Overall, all of the teams got some adept fits for their rosters. We’ll see how this class does in the upcoming season.