Filed under Showcase, Sports

District Sweep

Junior Madison Friemel played girls’ singles. The past two years Friemel has advanced to regionals. She placed first her freshman year,  second her sophomore year and first this year. “I felt like I did better on my serves and keeping the ball in play. Although, it was difficult playing with the wind blowing so hard,” Friemel said. “I had a good time, and I hope to do well at regionals.”

Junior Madison Friemel played girls’ singles. The past two years Friemel has advanced to regionals. She placed first her freshman year, second her sophomore year and first this year. “I felt like I did better on my serves and keeping the ball in play. Although, it was difficult playing with the wind blowing so hard,” Friemel said. “I had a good time, and I hope to do well at regionals.”

4 Qualify for Regional Meet

The Groom tennis team traveled to Amarillo April 3 to compete at the 1A District 2 Tennis Meet. They took four doubles teams and four singles players. Four people qualified for regionals, two singles players, and one doubles team. See a photo recap by teams below:

Junior Halle Barkley serves in her first game of the day. She and partner junior Sydney Ritter won that match 6-1, 6-1, the second 6-2, 6-4, and the last 6-2, 6-3.

Ritter serves in the first match with Barkley. She and partner Barkley went on to become district champions and will move on to the regional meet for the third time, but the first as a one seed.

Junior Corbin Ruthardt competes in singles at the 1A District 2 tennis meet held in Amarillo on the Randall High School court. Ruthardt placed second to return to the regional tournament for the third time in his tennis career. His first game score was 6-1, 7-5, the second also the championship he lost 3-6, 3-6.

Freshman Braedon Williams competed in his first district tennis meet and placed fourth, winning his first match 6-0, 6-3, and losing the second 6-0, 6-0.

Freshman Kirsten Rice and Rebecca Short participated in the JV bracket and helped Coach Larry Roskens with the meet. While the meet was held at Randall High School in Amarillo, Groom hosted.

Sophomore Katelyn Burger plays her first match of the day to the eventual second-place finisher but won the consolation side of the bracket.

Sophomores William Kelly, serving, and Chandra Rice competed in mixed doubles for the first time. The score of their first game was 0-6, 0-6

Freshman Mallie Williams and Sophomore Laurel Fields prepare for a serve from their opponents in their first match that they lost 2-6, 1-6.

Junior Madison Friemel played girls’ singles. The past two years Friemel has advanced to regionals. She placed first her freshman year,  second her sophomore year and first this year in an easy fashion. Her first game the score was 6-0, 6-0, the second 6-1, 6-0, and the third 6-2, 6-1. “I felt like I did better on my serves and keeping the ball in play. Although, it was difficult playing with the wind blowing so hard,” Friemel said. “I had a good time, and I hope to do well at regionals.”