March Madness Makes History

Adrian Hendricks

More stories from Adrian Hendricks

Time for the Tux?
February 28, 2018
Track Schedule
February 22, 2018
March+Madness+is+upon+us%2C+and+this+year+is+special.+It+has+been+full+of+upsets%2C+and+this+is+the+first+time+in+history+that+a+No.+16+seed+has+beaten+a+No.+1+seed.+%22I%27m+shook%2C%22+junior+K%27Leigh+Keesee+said.+%22It+was+crazy+to+think+that+happened.%22+
March Madness is upon us, and this year is special. It has been full of upsets, and this is the first time in history that a No. 16 seed has beaten a No. 1 seed.

March Madness is upon us, and this year is special. It has been full of upsets, and this is the first time in history that a No. 16 seed has beaten a No. 1 seed. "I'm shook," junior K'Leigh Keesee said. "It was crazy to think that happened."

Chandra Rice

Hendricks sums up this ‘Tournament of Upsets’

A LOT of people enjoy watching March Madness. The NCAA Tournament is one of the most watched sports event of the year, along with the Superbowl and the NBA finals. More than 17 million brackets were entered this year. The AGA estimates the average bracket entry fee is $29 per bracket. A few simple calculations later, and you find out there’s almost $500 million in this industry, and that’s only on people’s bracket entries. With other sources of income such as illegal betting, the tournament produces about $2 billion. As you can see, March Madness entertains A LOT of people.

This year especially has been entertaining and strange. The typical tournament has no winner of the bracket challenge. The odds of filling out a perfect bracket are about 1 in 2 billion, depending on the year. The odds are terrible, but there’s normally a few that make it to the final four and no further. However, after the first day of the NCAA tournament, there were only 6,306 brackets left according to ESPN. That is only 0.00036 percent of the all the entries. The reason for the terrible first round was two MAJOR upsets. The first was No. 13 Buffalo beating No. 4 Arizona 89 – 68. The next upset was the biggest upset in the history of the NCAA Tournament. For the first time ever, a No. 16 seed beat a No. 1 seed. No. 16 UMBC beat No. 1 Virginia 74 – 54. This action threw almost all the brackets off. Some other notable upsets were No. 9 Florida State took down No. 1 Xavier in the second round, and No. 7 Texas A&M beat No. 2 UNC.

The tournament continues on March 22 and 23 with the “Sweet Sixteen.” I personally think this is the most interesting year I’ve ever watched, and hopefully, it will continue. It will also be interesting to see if these underdog teams will continue their journey all the way to the championship.

Below is the updated bracket for the Sweet Sixteen

Sweet Sixteen Bracket