The Sheriff’s Log – March 4

According to Sheriff Loren Brand, dog owners could fall victim to a

According to Sheriff Loren Brand, dog owners could fall victim to a "designer dog" scam that is targeting Carson County. If residents have been contacted for a deal like this one, they need to contact the sheriff's office. "These low-lifes prey on your emotions especially if you’ve recently lost a pet," Brand said. "I love dogs, but despise thieves."

Photo via Flickr and Wikimedia under Creative Commons license

Scammers target
dog lovers
in Carson County

In addition to his usual report on the numbers, facts and details of activities of his department, Sheriff Loren Brand put out a Facebook warning about a “designer dog scam” that is occurring in Carson County.

“These low-lifes prey on your emotions, especially if you’ve recently lost a pet,” Brand reported on Facebook. “I love dogs, but despise thieves. Don’t fall for the scam.”

The deal requires that you send money, using Walmart money orders, to an out-of-state address. Purchasers will then be told that a problem has developed and more funds are needed to get the dog.

“You won’t get a dog, and you’ll never get your money back,” Brand said.

Residents should call the sheriff’s office at (806) 537-3511 if they question any transaction. The rest of the sheriff’s regular report follows.

The Numbers

CCSO Dispatch/9-1-1 received 73 calls for service in the last week.  There were 6 traffic accidents, 8 fires, 2 child custody matters, 2 motorist assists, 8 EMS calls, and 6 welfare concerns in addition to other calls and reports.

Stolen Vehicle, Crime Stoppers Reports

We are continuing to search for a vehicle stolen from the Carson County area. The car is a silver-colored 2006 Buick four-door with Texas tag #BC4B514. If you have information about the stolen vehicle, please contact Amarillo Crime Stoppers 24/7 tip line 806-374-4400.  Your call is kept confidential and you may be eligible for a cash reward.

Arrests

38 persons were arrested/booked and we currently have 33 in custody. We are an equal opportunity incarcerator. Of the 33 persons currently in custody, 11 are females who have been booked on charges ranging from theft and DUI to money laundering, possession of controlled substances, abandoning/endangering children and failing to ID – fugitive.

Sheriff Loren Brand
Carson County Sheriff’s Office
Carson County Law Enforcement Center
201 Highway 60 East
PO Box 97
Panhandle, Texas 79068
[email protected]
806.537.3511
806.537.2120 Fax