1, 2, 3 – Cavalier Changes

Adrian Hendricks

More stories from Adrian Hendricks

Hendrick’s Week 4 Picks
September 26, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

1, 2, 3 – Cavalier Changes

Cleveland's Lebron James stands in the middle of Cavaliers' court. According to junior columnist Adrian Hendricks, the Cavs made a great roster improvement before the NBA trade deadline.

Cleveland's Lebron James stands in the middle of Cavaliers' court. According to junior columnist Adrian Hendricks, the Cavs made a great roster improvement before the NBA trade deadline. "One team really stood out this year, and a lot of people have mixed opinions of its trades." Hendricks said.

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

NBA’s Cleveland Trades

Standout before Deadline

The NBA trade deadline is something that is interesting every year. If you don’t know what that is, it’s the last day that teams in the NBA can make trades with other teams for the rest of the season. It is also when trades are most common. One team really stood out this year, and a lot of people have mixed opinions of its trades.

1. The Lakers Trade

The first of their three trades was the Lakers’ trade. The Cavaliers sent away Isaiah Thomas, Channing Frye and their 2018 first-round pick for Larry Nance, Jr. and Jordan Clarkson. Personally, I think that this was a good trade for the Cavs for multiple reasons. Isaiah Thomas was supposed to play much better than he was after his injury. He wasn’t impressing anyone, so why not get something for him? After the trade, the Cavs got an exciting and explosive pair of young players. It was refreshing for the aging Cavs’ roster to see some new, young talent.

2. The Jazz Trade

The second trade they made was with the Utah Jazz, where they traded Derrick Rose and Jae Crowder for George Hill and Rodney Hill. This was also a good trade for the Cavs because they had been seeking Hill for weeks because they were in need of a true starting point guard, and Hill is just the player they needed. Derrick Rose was having a terrible year, and Jae Crowder was struggling to return to his Celtics form. The Cavs definitely got the good end of this trade.

3. The Heat Trade

The third and final trade was to the Heat, sending Dwyane Wade back home to Miami for Miami’s protected second-round pick. Dwayne Wade is nearing the end of his amazing career, and I think it was just a courteous move by the Cavs to let him retire in Miami. The Cavs didn’t leave empty-handed, though, because they’re going to get more young talent with a second-round pick.

Cleveland definitely had a good day of trading. Their old and struggling roster has been changed to a younger and more explosive team. Since the deadline, the Cavs are 3 – 0, and their fans hope they keep the success rolling.