$10 for $10,000 – It’s a possibility

This past fall, Groom Fellowship of Christian Athletes hosted the Fields of Faith for the Panhandle region huddles and packed the home stands with students from area schools. Those students now are fundraising to help send more students to FCA camps. Thanks to donations, each $10 ticket gives purchasers gifts that cost more than that investment, and each ticket also offers an opportunity to win a $10,000 bank card.

This past fall, Groom Fellowship of Christian Athletes hosted the Fields of Faith for the Panhandle region huddles and packed the home stands with students from area schools. Those students now are fundraising to help send more students to FCA camps. Thanks to donations, each $10 ticket gives purchasers gifts that cost more than that investment, and each ticket also offers an opportunity to win a $10,000 bank card. "This year I wanted the Groom Huddle to help raise some of this money," sponsor Larry Roskens said. "I believe the camps offer valuable and lasting experiences."

Huddles offer fundraising chances

to support future FCA campers

Some campers arrive alone, but all are met by dancing strangers, who greet each newcomer during registration. According to Groom Fellowship of Christian Athlete Huddle members, though, no one ends the week without new relationships and without being ready to be a better leader when they return home.

“Panhandle FCA is great about raising money that supports coaches and athletes,” local huddle sponsor Larry Roskens said. “Their fundraising has sent two or three athletes from to Groom every year for the last five years.”

FCA groups throughout the Panhandle are selling tickets now to sponsor those future leaders to attend camps like the one described above this summer. Tickets cost $10. Purchasers all have a chance to win a $10,000 bank credit card. According to the Amarillo Education Foundation, which is helping sponsor the fundraiser in conjunction with Panhandle FCA, the winner must be 18 years or older. In addition, with each ticket purchased, the buyer will receive a free lava car wash, an $18 value, or $12 off an oil change and a car wash, which normally cost $24. Both of these gifts are courtesy Toot ‘n Totem of Amarillo.  All proceeds from the tickets purchased will send students to summer camps, including Groom FCA members. Local members receive 75 percent of all of the ticket proceeds they sell to help students in their own “huddle” go to camp. 

“I think it’s good to support this program for kids who need help learning about leadership, how to be a leader, and learning to grow through spiritual leadership as well,” said 2017 graduate and camp attendee Garet Rocha. “If most schools would use this program, they wouldn’t have some of the problems they do now because they (student campers) would learn about leadership and have better communication skills with their peers.”

FCA huddle meetings target junior high and high school students who want to learn more about developing their faith as well as their athletic skills. During the school year, Groom members typically meet in the evenings. In the spring, the members plan to go to having lunch-time huddle sessions in the park. During the summer, students can attend leadership, power and sports camps. The most common things about all these camps is that they all include both sports and Christian growth.

Pullquote Photo

Both (high school) camps (leadership and sports) were full of games, fun, and I’ve met good friends at both”

— - Sydney Ritter

“Both (high school) camps (leadership and sports) were full of games, fun, and I’ve met good friends at both,” junior Sydney Ritter said. “But I think I liked the leadership camp more because there’s more of a focus and group atmosphere.”

According to the FCA website, more students attend the sports camp each summer.

“The sports camp was like going to church camp and a sports camp at the same time, which is also super cool,” Ritter said.

According to FCA, leadership camps have a strict focus on teaching practical skills to build spiritual growth, while power camps are mainly for ages 8-12 to develop their sports skills in a positive environment. Sports camps are offered in several different types. Most Groom students have attended both football and basketball camps. The students choose to register for the sport they want to practice. No Groom students have had to pay full price to go to camp. This year, the local huddle members said they intended to help more than they have in the past with the fundraising, which has sent several past and current high school members to a variety of camps.

Pullquote Photo

FCA Leadership camp is an amazing experience.”

— - Matthew Bowen

“If someone was considering going to either camp, I would say go to either,” Ritter said. “They’re both amazing.”

Another way these three camps are alike is that they each have small groups that also are called “huddles.” In each camp huddle, students are encouraged to grow close to each of the other students and help them each individually to grow spiritually. Camp costs include paid leaders who not only are experts in their individual sport, but who also have received targeted, faith-based preparation.  

“This year I wanted the Groom Huddle to help raise some of this money,” Roskens said. “I believe the camps offer valuable and lasting experiences.”

To purchase tickets to support camp costs for Groom students and to have a chance to win the $10,000 bank card, contact Groom FCA members or sponsor Larry Roskens. Groom FCA gets $7.50 credited to each individual camp scholarship fund for every ticket sold. Panhandle FCA also will credit $7.50 in the Groom Camp Account for every ticket sold. So, when  25 tickets are sold, the group will have $375 in an account already intended to sponsor Groom campers.

Money from ticket sales Matching funds from Panhandle FCA Total money designated for Groom FCA camp scholarships
187.50 187.50 $375

To purchase tickets, contact any Groom Huddle member, or e-mail Roskens at [email protected]

“FCA Leadership camp is an amazing experience. You get to meet new people and that gives you a chance to get out of your comfort zone and grow as a Christian,” junior Matthew Bowen said. “It’s the best camp I’ve ever been to.”