Journey to Playoffs

Groom+girls+varsity+wins+the+Groom+Tournament+Championship.++%22So+proud+of+those+girls+and+so+appreciative+of+the+support+Tiger+Nation%2C%22+Coach+Nichole+Black+said+in+a+post+on+Facebook.+%0A24+Diana+Surratt%2C+1+Graci+Treadwell%2C+10+Katie+Marshall%2C+35+Mallie+Williams%2C+2+Sydney+Ritter%2C+21+Aubrey+Ritter%2C+25+Lauren++Kuehler%2C+31+Laurel+Fields%2C+Coach+Black%2C+32+Jamey+Germany%2C+14+Madison+Friemel%2C+22+Chelsey+Lamb%2C+11+Ginna+Miller%2C+12+Justina+Coronado%2C+3+Chandra+Rice%2C+Stephen+Vanderpool%2C+10+Halle+Barkley%2C+13+K%27Leigh+Keesee%2C+20+Kaylie+Ritter.+
Groom girls varsity wins the Groom Tournament Championship.

Groom girls varsity wins the Groom Tournament Championship. "So proud of those girls and so appreciative of the support Tiger Nation," Coach Nichole Black said in a post on Facebook. 24 Diana Surratt, 1 Graci Treadwell, 10 Katie Marshall, 35 Mallie Williams, 2 Sydney Ritter, 21 Aubrey Ritter, 25 Lauren Kuehler, 31 Laurel Fields, Coach Black, 32 Jamey Germany, 14 Madison Friemel, 22 Chelsey Lamb, 11 Ginna Miller, 12 Justina Coronado, 3 Chandra Rice, Stephen Vanderpool, 10 Halle Barkley, 13 K'Leigh Keesee, 20 Kaylie Ritter.

Chandra Rice, Editor

Tigerette Runs Through District

Chandra Rice, a sophomore member of the Tigerettes provides a look at the season for fans.

Perhaps you’ve heard of the ‘Ettes big play-off seeding game on Feb. 10 at 2 p.m. in Claude, but if you missed a game or two along the way, this column is here to catch you up on the winning 7-3 district season that has led to the moment on Saturday, where the team will be playing for the second-place district ranking against White Deer. The McLean Lady Tigers earned first.

Lefors

The first district game for the ‘Ettes district was against Lefors, but injuries and other issues made the Lady Pirates no-show. With Lefors’ forfeit, Groom had their first “win” of the district season.

Shamrock

In the first actual game that involved competition, the ‘Ettes took on Shamrock at Shamrock. Groom came off with the win with a score of 56-43. Keeping the score in their favor, the girls went to the hoop. Freshman Aubrey Ritter scored 22 points. Junior Sydney Ritter had 14 points. Freshman Graci Treadwell claimed eight. Senior Chelsey Lamb put in six points. Senior Jamey Germany had four and sophomore Ginna Miller added two. All of which, contributed to the Tigerette win.

Hedley

The third district game was against Hedley here at Groom. The score was in favor of Groom,  leading 68-40, and we pulled through on top. S. Ritter racked up 22 points. Junior Madison Friemel followed with 11. Junior K’ Leigh Keesee and Germany tied with 10 points of their own. A. Ritter had seven. Lamb put in four. Treadwell and Miller added two.

White Deer

The fourth district game was White Deer at Groom. With not defeating them in the recent past years, the girls said  winning this game gave them a new sense of “hope.” Keeping the score in Groom’s favor, that hope became reality. The Ette’s didn’t rely on just one person the make all of the points, instead, they showed offensive depth. S. Ritter scored 12 points, A. Ritter claimed 10 points, Lamb earned six, Germany tallied four, Miller and Friemel received three points and Keesee added 2 leading to a total of 40 points to win the game.

McLean

The fifth game was the end of the first half of district and it was against McLean in McLean. Groom came up short on the win with the score 66-42. Though not having a good first half of the game, the Ette’s made the second half a better one. S. Ritter scored 15 points, Germany earned 13, A Ritter claimed nine, Keesee and Treadwell tallied two and Lamb added one. The Ettes’ played tough to earn themselves 42 points.

Second Half of District

Coming into the second half of district with only having lost one game in since December, the ‘Ettes are determined to get where they wanna be.

Lefors

The first district game of the second half of district was against Lefors at Lefors.  Tigerettes won 67-13 and had several people scoring. It was just a great game all around. S. Ritter scored 18 points, Freshman Mallie Williams and Germany earned eight, A. Ritter and Lamb tied with six points; Keesee gained five, Sophomore Chandra Rice, Junior Katie Marshall and Miller put in four, and Friemel claimed two points.

Shamrock

The second district game was against Shamrock at Groom. S. Ritter scored 25 points, Germany put in 11 points, Miller earned nine points, Treadwell, A. Ritter and Keesee tallied six points, Lamb claimed four points, senior Lauren Kuehler, Friemel, and Rice added two, giving the Ettes’ a total of 73 points for the win.

Hedley

The third district game was against Hedley at Hedley. Keeping Hedley under 20 points, the Ettes’ came off with the win of 56 points. Germany and Friemel scored 15 points, S. Ritter claimed 13 points, A. Ritter added 11 and Williams put in two points. With the final score of 56- 15, the Ettes’ made it to 7-1 in the standings.

White Deer

The ‘Ettes took on White Deer for the second time. With only a three-point difference, the Ettes’ came up short. S. Ritter scored 21 points; Germany earned eight points; A. Ritter put in seven; Treadwell, Miller and Friemel put in three points, and Lamb added two.

McLean

In the fifth district game, the ‘Ettes took on state-ranked McLean at Groom.  A. Ritter scored 13 points, Lamb earned eight points, Germany and S. Ritter claimed seven points, and lastly Miller and Keesee each added one point, giving the ‘Ettes a total of 37. While the ‘Ettes were only down two at half time, McLean pulled through with the win of 61-37.

White Deer

The ‘Ettes are now to play a tie-breaker game against White Deer and the Tigerettes for second place in the standings. The Ettes’ will play White Deer in Claude at 2 in the afternoon, but the Ettes’ are in the playoffs whether they win or lose.