Ending Season with Lefors

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ending Season with Lefors

Seventh-grader Zadyn Johnson zooms down the court with ball in hand, at the Feb. 1 home game against Hedley. The girls won this game, and the boys also won their game 48-20. Johnson was the lead scorer for the girls.  “The final score was a well-deserved 34-6 score,” Coach Nicole Black said of the girls game.

Seventh-grader Zadyn Johnson zooms down the court with ball in hand, at the Feb. 1 home game against Hedley. The girls won this game, and the boys also won their game 48-20. Johnson was the lead scorer for the girls. “The final score was a well-deserved 34-6 score,” Coach Nicole Black said of the girls game.

Saffron Eugea

Saffron Eugea

Saffron Eugea

Damon Kuehler, Staff Writer

Cubs, ‘Ettes defeat Hedley

Look ahead to Bandits

for last games of year

After the guys’ and girls’ junior high teams both won at home last Thursday against Hedley, they will take on Lefors tonight for their last games of the season.

Against the Owls last week, the boys won 48-20,  and the Cubettes won 34-6.

Eighth-grader Colby Linquist claimed the high-point scoring position with 15 points for the Cubs. Following in second, Damon Keuhler added 14 points, with 8 points being tossed in by Kuehler in the third period.

“We started off slow, but after halftime, we finally started playing defense  – and as a team,” Linquist said. “It came out to be a great game.”

While the Cubs had almost 50 points added on the offensive side of the game, some players thought they could have played better defensively in the first half.

“We played garbage defense in the first and second quarter, but in the 3rd and 4th quarter, we stepped up ahead of the challenge in order to win,” Kuehler said.

The coach thought the team needs to step up the rebounding game, as well,  in the battle against Lefors tonight.

“If we want to improve our game, we have to get the rebound and play great defense.”

Seventh-grader Zadyn Johnson scored the most for the girls.

“I was really impressed with all the sixth graders for stepping up to the challenge and keeping the lead score,” eighth- grade post Payton Trevino said.

The girl’s coach agreed with Trevino’s assessment of the Cubettes’ play.

“The final score was a well-deserved 34-6 score,” Coach Nicole Black said.