On the Road Again

Chandra Rice

More stories from Chandra Rice

Tigers Today – Nov. 16
November 16, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 14
November 14, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 13
November 13, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 9
November 9, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 8
November 8, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 7
November 7, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 6
November 6, 2018
Back to Article
Back to Article

On the Road Again

The new Groom ISD 2018 Chevy Silverado stands ready for use. This week and last, the welding class has been helping maintenance director Kenneth Payton move desks, chairs and tables into the storage units to prepare for construction of the school's new facilities.

The new Groom ISD 2018 Chevy Silverado stands ready for use. This week and last, the welding class has been helping maintenance director Kenneth Payton move desks, chairs and tables into the storage units to prepare for construction of the school's new facilities. "I liked the truck because it rides smoothly, and the interior was nice," sophomore William Kelly said. "Also, the truck blocked out a lot of the sound from out side."

Administration Answers
Transportation Needs
with 2 Vehicles

To fulfill transportation needs, the school received two new vehicles just before Christmas break, and students have already been heading out in them throughout the Panhandle with sponsors to take care of business.

UIL academic students put to use the 2018 Chevy Suburban to go to a practice meet in Stinnett, and Ag students regularly us the 2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crew Cab to haul feed and equipment for their show animals.

“Driving the suburban was really smooth and comfortable,” UIL sponsor Jowannah Powers said of their Saturday, Jan. 13 trip to West Texas High School.

She and journalism sponsor Lisa Roskens took five students to compete in a variety of academic events that Saturday. Powers said she sees several advantages to this new white vehicle.

“Being at a small school, it will save on gas, parking, warming it up and keeps students closer to have conversations,” Powers said.

The white Chevy Silverado pickup is used by the Ag classes, FFA, 4-H and students helping with concession stand, as well as for other extracurricular jobs, including these: hauling animals, gathering supplies and doing other jobs necessary to the programs.

“I liked the truck because it rides smoothly, and the interior was nice,” sophomore William Kelly said. “Also, the truck blocked out a lot of the sound from outside.”

The administration solved the problem of the lack of reliability with buses last year with the purchase of two new buses. This summer the van had one major breakdown when the cross country team took it to Claude. The vehicle then endured repairs.

“While the van has been reliable, the district needed a more quality option,” principal Stephen Vanderpool said. So, the suburban was purchased.

But, even though the Suburban is new, it has not come totally free of repair issues. On the UIL trip in January, freshman Braedon Williams was having trouble with the handle that raises the middle seat to allow students access to the back row. When he pulled a little harder, the handle broke off in his hand.

“Tell Braedon that I thought those handles looked cheap and were hard to open,” superintendent Jay Lamb sent in a reply text to Roskens. “No sweat, we can fix it.”