Funding Feud

Back to Article
Back to Article

Funding Feud

The following caption ran Oct. 14, 2013, with an article by Zach Holloway about the government shutdown that occurred that year. Could it happen again? ORIGINAL CAPTION - The U.S. Department of Agriculture carries a warning on its webpage that its content may not be up-to-date due to the government shutdown. Now, Groom students have found the reality behind this national news story has started hitting home. Some parents have already found their position status marked as

The following caption ran Oct. 14, 2013, with an article by Zach Holloway about the government shutdown that occurred that year. Could it happen again? ORIGINAL CAPTION - The U.S. Department of Agriculture carries a warning on its webpage that its content may not be up-to-date due to the government shutdown. Now, Groom students have found the reality behind this national news story has started hitting home. Some parents have already found their position status marked as "furloughed," as others wait to see if their jobs face the same fate.

U.S. Department of Agriculture

U.S. Department of Agriculture

U.S. Department of Agriculture

Chandra Rice, Editor

Groom Families Affected by Last Shutdown
Could it Happen Again?

In light of current events, could some Groom students and their families be facing the reality of no pay checks once again if Congress and the president fail to agree on a new budget, which could force a government shutdown.

What happens during a government shutdown? According to a report by FOX News, here’s seven things you should know.

What causes a government shutdown?

If Congress and the president don’t sign into law 12 appropriations bills that continue to provide funding, then a shutdown will occur.

How can a government shutdown be prevented?

Congress can approve a continuing resolution, or extension, to avoid the shutdown.

How long does a government shutdown last?

Congressional leaders need to be in agreement on a funding package. So, it takes as long as it needs, but historically issues are resolved in days, not months.

The federal government would be forced to shut down “non-essential services.” Who would be affected?

People who work in top government jobs or for the military will continue working. People receiving Social Security, Medicare, and food stamps will still receive them. People who work at museums, parks, and other non-essential positions will be told to go home.

Do federal employees still get paid?

Federal employees typically receive back pay upon their return, but each agency has its own contingency plan in event of a shutdown.

How many times has the government shut down?

The government has shut down 18 times since the year 1976, but half of those shutdowns occurred on weekends. Historians note that only the last three shutdowns have been significant.

How much money can the country lose during a shutdown?

Shutdowns can cost billions of taxpayer dollars.

Other coverage follows:

http://www.newschannel10.com/story/37288282/history-of-government-shutdowns