Donating the Gift of Life

The FFA group will be hosting a blood drive Monday, Jan. 15, at 1:30 p.m. In this editorial, writer Sydney Ritter encourages people to donate.

The FFA group will be hosting a blood drive Monday, Jan. 15, at 1:30 p.m. In this editorial, writer Sydney Ritter encourages people to donate. "There are plenty of excuses not to donate, but the facts and reasons to donate outweigh those greatly," Ritter said.

Word Cloud by Sydney Ritter

Word Cloud by Sydney Ritter

Editorial Writer Ritter
Challenges Community
to Give Blood

Groom FFA is sponsoring a blood drive with the Coffee Memorial Blood Center on Monday, Jan. 15, 1:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. with the Coffee Memorial Blood Center.  Almost every adult can donate blood, but not everyone does.

Everyone who is able should donate blood.

Before saying no to donating, people should consider what they are keeping from someone else. Blood donations often go to cancer patients and car accident victims. After considering those facts, think of how frequently accidents occur and how often disease attacks someone you know – you could help them.

Blood donation has few side effects for the donor, and those few effects typically do not last long and usually can be combated with rest and water intake. Your body will replace the plasma you donate within 24 hours. That’s one day the donor has a few less blood cells, but those few cells could save someone else’s life.

Some say “I don’t have the time to go donate blood.” But, the whole process doesn’t even take an hour. The blood drawing requires only 8-10 minutes and then another 15 minutes after to make sure you get some water and food into your system to replenish yourself. That’s maybe half an hour to give basically a renewable resource – one that could save a life.

If it’s fear keeping you from donating, think about the scary situation the person needing the blood is in. There are plenty of excuses not to donate, but the facts and reasons to donate outweigh those greatly. Be brave next Monday and help someone in need by donating blood at Groom School.

1 Comment

One Response to “Donating the Gift of Life”

1. Loren Brand on January 13th, 2018 3:21 pm

Excellent article!

[Reply]

• Donating the Gift of Life

Columns

Christmas Care …

• Donating the Gift of Life

Opinion

Deadly Thoughts

• Donating the Gift of Life

Opinion

Enforcing the Rules

• Donating the Gift of Life

Columns

Molding Success

• Donating the Gift of Life

Opinion

To Ban or Not to Ban

• Donating the Gift of Life

Opinion

Young Writers Reflect on Red-Ribbon Week

• Donating the Gift of Life

Opinion

Red-Ribbon Realities

• Donating the Gift of Life

Opinion

Transitioning From Tradition To Tuition …

• Columns

A Series of One Last Times …

• Donating the Gift of Life

Columns

From Summer Cross Country to Start of School …

Skip to toolbar
Donating the Gift of Life