Groom Defeats Shamrock

Junior basketball player Sydney Ritter plays defense against the Lady Irish during the Jan. 9 game against Shamrock. Groom won 56-43.

Junior basketball player Sydney Ritter plays defense against the Lady Irish during the Jan. 9 game against Shamrock. Groom won 56-43. "With some team chemistry and coach encouragement, we were able to come out in the third quarter and win our first district game," junior guard Sydney Ritter said.

Kodi Tiffin

Kodi Tiffin

Payton Trevino

Tigerettes win 56-43

The Tigerettes defeated the Lady Irish in Shamrock on Tuesday, Jan. 9, to win their first district game (that they could play) by a score of 56-43. Now, the team is looking forward to their game against Hedley on Friday, Jan. 12.

Last week the Lefors Lady Pirates due to injuries had to forfeit the first official game to Groom. The Tigerettes came  ready to take their district record to 2-0 on Tuesday. By end of the first quarter in Shamrock, the ‘Ettes only had a one-point lead. The score was 14-13 before the second-quarter began.

“Last night we didn’t start off very well,” junior guard Sydney Ritter said.

But, with the help of first-time starter freshman Aubrey Ritter’s 22 points, the ‘Ettes began to widen their lead.  Sister Sydney Ritter contributed 14. Freshman Graci Treadwell followed with 8; Chelsey Lamb contributed 6; Jamey Germany scored 4, and Ginna Miller added 2, rounding out all of the Groom scoring.

“With some team chemistry and coach encouragement, we were able to come out in the third quarter and win our first district game,’ the older Ritter said.

The junior varsity boys will begin Friday’s home games at 5 p.m. by playing Kelton, followed by the varsity girls at 6:30 against Hedley. The varsity boys then will take on the Owls at 7 p.m.

A Note from Coach

Coach Nicole Black