Filed under Columns, Showcase

Molding Success

Sophomore Hallie Thompson carries the White Deer Riding Club flag into the Groups arena in White Deer, during a practice session this summer. Hallie was awarded the White Deer Rodeo Queen Runner-up in July.

Sophomore Hallie Thompson carries the White Deer Riding Club flag into the Groups arena in White Deer, during a practice session this summer. Hallie was awarded the White Deer Rodeo Queen Runner-up in July. "The competition was very tough this year," Thompson said, "But I still love it and I can't wait to come back next year!"

Rodeo competitor Hallie Thompson Reflects
on Learning from Wins, Losses

Playing UIL sports was never really my thing. I tried for years to make the whole typical team “sport” tradition work, but it wasn’t my strong suit. I now barrel race and pole bend. So instead of you missing a shot in basketball, I’m knocking down a barrel or pole and adding 5 seconds to my already rodeo-clock ticking time.

I can say that I have experienced loss. I think we all have at some point. Whenever you’re competing in a sport that means a lot to you, taking a loss can be hard.

As Sadie, her dog, makes sure that all things are good on the ranch, sophomore Hallie Thompson lunges her horse Pluto. “Lunging usually eliminates the nerves and aggression that sometimes comes with riding. It gives us both a time to communicate to one another and to give a heads up on to what we should both be expecting during that ride,” Thompson said.

Learning how to take a loss is an everyday process. I am currently learning how to decide if I deserved what I got. Did I deserve to hit that barrel and mess my chances up for first place, or did I work hard in the last week preventing it from happening? Did I deserve to get first place, or did I just win by luck? Was I really giving my horse a fair shot at success by coaching him well throughout the month?

But, whether you deserved it or not, loss is something we experience everyday. It is also something we can take from our life and learn from. Without loss we wouldn’t know how to do better next time. So the next time you experience loss, think about how you can do better next time. Could you come more prepared, or should just be better as a whole? Either way, let the loss mold your success.