Guiding Students

Sarah Nichols prepares to lead her third grade students in a lesson. Nichols teaches second- and third-grade math and science in Groom this year. “I don’t do this for me,

Sarah Nichols prepares to lead her third grade students in a lesson. Nichols teaches second- and third-grade math and science in Groom this year. “I don’t do this for me," Nichols said. "I do it for my students, so they can be successful and get their education.” 

Tyler Cox

Tyler Cox

Tyler Cox, Staff Writer

Teacher Communicates ‘she’s there’

As soon as you step through the door of Sarah Nichols’ classroom you notice that it’s extremely organized and inspired. The space gives the feeling of students being wanted and having a purpose there.

Nichols, who teaches second- and third-grade math and science, said with each task – even decorating her room – she wants to communicate that she’s there for her students no matter what is going on because she wants her students to trust that they can come to her for help.

“My mom likes teaching because she likes to be around kids,” Nichols’ son, sophomore Chris (Nichols) said. “And, she wants to make a positive impact on children.”

Nichols said her fourth-grade teacher, Mrs. Kibbee, was the inspiration behind Groom’s newest elementary teacher’s desire to become a teacher in the first place – long before she started teaching and moved here.

“I remember Mrs. Kibbee as a very engaging teacher,” Mrs. Nichols said.  “She always included all her students and made learning exciting every day, which made school exciting. I want my students to be excited about learning in the same way.”

While starting at a new school in a new place was a huge change, she said the whole family has contributed to making their move from the Abilene area go as smooth as possible.

“She’s a great teacher, and loves to teach her students, like me,” third-grader Emily Britten said. 

In addition to her teaching certificate, Nichols has a bachelor of science from Texas A&M University in Commerce.

“Hard work and determination always pay off,” Nichols said.

While Nichols has taught many subjects, she doesn’t hesitate when it comes to identifying her favorite.

“Math is my favorite subject to teach,” Nichols said.

Nichols identified one key obstacle that she did not let stop her from achieving her academic goals.

“Dyslexia – and I had to spend more time studying,” Nichols said.

Nichols has taught fourth grade for the last 12 years, but she seems to not mind the transition to teaching second and third-graders.

“I don’t do this for me,” Nichols said. “I do it for my students, so they can be successful and get their education.” 

While she’s trying to make certain her students know they’re not alone and that she’s always on their side, Nichols said she remembers she has someone with her, too.

“Jesus,” Nichols said. “He’s always there to talk to me.”