Back in Black … And Red

Chandra Rice

More stories from Chandra Rice

Tigers Today – Nov. 9
November 9, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 8
November 8, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 7
November 7, 2018
Tigers Today – Nov. 6
November 6, 2018
Tigers Today – Oct. 31
October 31, 2018
Tigers Today – Oct. 30
October 30, 2018
Pre-K teacher Pam Hutsell takes time for a quick photo with her preschool students before lining up to go to class. Hutsell left retirement to rejoin the Groom faculty this school year.

Pre-K teacher Pam Hutsell takes time for a quick photo with her preschool students before lining up to go to class. Hutsell left retirement to rejoin the Groom faculty this school year. "It makes me happy to see students graduate." Hutsell said. "Especially when I taught them in class."

Hutsell returns
to Groom School

Returning teacher, Pam Hutsell, left retirement, a typical career-ending step, to help Groom’s school’s youngest learners take their first steps toward achieving their educational goals, by returning to teach pre-kindergarten this year at Groom.

In 2015, Hutsell retired after 33 years of teaching. Her first round of teaching at Groom School began in 1982 as a teacher’s aide. Then she became the kindergarten teacher the following year. Before coming to Groom, Hutsell followed in her mom’s footsteps and taught freshman, sophomore and junior English at Wheeler in the 1979-80 school year. Hutsell’s mom, Dorothy Vickers Krizan, taught English in Groom in the 1940s. Now, though, Hutsell’s path has led her to serve a much younger crowd.

“I love my job,” Hutsell said.

Hutsell offered this reason for her feelings about work.

Find a job that you love, and you’ll never get tired of it”

— Pam Hutsell

“Find a job that you love, and you’ll never get tired of it,” she said.

When Hutsell was a kid, she never thought she would be a teacher, but in college, she found a love for teaching.

“I originally wanted to go into journalism,” Hutsell said. “I was a pretty good writer in school, and I even won district ready writing as a senior.”

Hutsell attended the University of North Texas and West Texas State University and received a Bachelors of Science in education.  She graduated from Groom in 1973 and attended WTSU from 1973-75.  Then she worked for two years before finishing school at UNT in 1979.

“Both schools were very good, but I really enjoyed my upper-level English and history classes at UNT,” Hutsell said. “So, those two subjects became my teaching fields.”

Hutsell said she had many obstacles to overcome to become a teacher, as well as to develop into the teacher she is today. One of the challenges included going back to school to get a Kindergarten certificate while having “two babies,”  now adult daughters Mary Muckinhaupt and Sarah Hutsell, at home.

“They didn’t have Kindergarten when I was in school,” Hutsell said.

Hutsell said she didn’t have a hard time in school because her mom taught her and her sister, Marcia Davis, a former Groom first-grade teacher. Krizan taught Hutsell and her sister how to write their names, and they played school growing up to get a little fun in with the learning.

“I would like to teach until my husband retires,” Hutsell said. “It’s kind of boring to be at home alone. ”

It makes me happy to see students graduate”

— Pam Hutsell

Her sister also continues to work in education as a librarian in Amarillo. Before coming out of retirement, Hutsell joined several Bible studies with some of her other retired teacher friends and did chores around the house and yard. For now, though, she said she is enjoying helping young learners get a good start on their future successes.

“It makes me happy to see students graduate,” Hutsell said. “Especially when I taught them in class.”