Need Help? Resources Ready!

Teachers Aimee Fields and Mendy Boyd work together to meet both student and parent needs. On Thursday, Boyd will be leading a class to help parents understand the elements of the Scottish Rite dyslexia program. Earlier this semester, Fields led a class to help parents help their

Teachers Aimee Fields and Mendy Boyd work together to meet both student and parent needs. On Thursday, Boyd will be leading a class to help parents understand the elements of the Scottish Rite dyslexia program. Earlier this semester, Fields led a class to help parents help their "Smart, But Scattered" students through a book study. "It touches me deep inside my heart to help a kid who is struggling to learn a concept," Fields said.

Chandra Rice, Editor

School Offers Classes for Parents, Students

Groom School continually offers parents training for helping them be ready to meet their students’ educational needs. For example, a class will be at 6 on Thursday in the library that offers the details on a dyslexia program being implemented here.

“Thursday’s training is an informational training to let parent’s know what the Scottish Rite Dyslexia program is and how it works,” teacher Mendy Boyd said.  “The training is not to identify students with Dyslexia.”

Earlier in the semester Aimee Fields was the facilitator of “Is Your Child Smart But Scattered, a program designed to help parents and students” and, she continues to offer answers for parents who need help with children who are intelligent but who may have trouble in school. Fields held meetings during the first few weeks of school, and she continues to be available to parents via phone or email as questions arise. Mrs. Boyd will do the same for parents after the Thursday meeting.

“I was trying to find ways to help our students who seem intelligent, but (who) were struggling with school,” Fields said.

By having a book study on the book, Smart, But Scattered, participants of the study, which was held on Monday nights during the first few weeks of school, learned about the executive functions of the brain. Fields started researching these specific actions of the brain at the end of the 2016-17 school year.

“I came across the book and put it on my summer reading list, and also attended some workshops dealing with executive function,” Fields said. “I am sharing that information with parents who are interested.”

The book goes into detail on how to help kids with specific skills they might be lacking, including these:

• Response inhibition
  • Working memory
  • Emotional control
  • Sustained attention
  • Task initiation
  • Panning/ prioritization
  • Organization
  • Time Management
  • Goal-directed Persistence
  • Flexibility
  • Metacognition

Fields said she hoped to spread understanding among adults – and the students themselves – that certain strengths and weaknesses are part of how the brain is wired.

“I am hoping this book study helps not only myself, ” Fields said. “But other parents, as we learn how to help our kids who are struggling with school.”

While other commitments, like pee-wee sports practices, have brought the in-person “Smart, But Scattered” meetings to a halt for now,  Fields said she hopes parents and students are still applying what they have learned from the meetings. Participants had two books to choose from for the study. The first was Smart, But Scattered, which is geared for parents of students ages five to twelve. The second is Smart, But Scattered for Teens, which is for parents of adolescents. On Thursday, Boyd will explain the Scottish Rite resources and how they can help students who have already been identified as having dyslexia. The Thursday program will not focus on the signs of dyslexia.

“If you do think your child is showing symptoms of dyslexia, please, first, talk to your child’s homeroom teacher,” Boyd said.

While participants did not have to have a book to attend Fields’ study sessions, “it is a great resource to have on hand even after the book study is over,” she said.

The book walks parents through helping their child with steps that will help them both at home and at school. Fields has both books, and she said anyone is welcome to take a look at them.

“It touches me deep inside my heart to help a kid who is struggling to learn a concept,” Fields said.

For more information on the “Smart, But Scattered Resources,”contact Fields at [email protected] For more information on the upcoming “Dyslexia Meeting,” contact Boyd at [email protected] Or, to speak with one of the women, callers can leave a message at the Groom School office after calling (806) 248-7474.