A First State Performance, A Final Season Performance
Photo of the Day – April 21

Kaylie Ritter

More stories from Kaylie Ritter

Deadly Thoughts
December 13, 2017
Tigers Today – Dec. 5
December 5, 2017
Tigers Today – Nov. 29
November 29, 2017
Groom made it to state for the first time in the history of the school in the UIL One Act Play contest. In achieving that goal, both Charity Perry and Cutter Babcock earned honorable mention all-star cast awards. In addition, Groom had the privilege of performing

Groom made it to state for the first time in the history of the school in the UIL One Act Play contest. In achieving that goal, both Charity Perry and Cutter Babcock earned honorable mention all-star cast awards. In addition, Groom had the privilege of performing "Dark Road" in the presence of the play's creator, playwright Laura Lundgren Smith, as well as numerous Groom fans. The winning schools were Abbott, first; Cross Plains, second; and Slidell, third.

Lisa Roskens

Lisa Roskens

Groom Performs Play 1 More Time for Community

As Groom One Act Play prepares for state competition in Bastrop, Texas, they have gotten many messages from surrounding groups asking for one final community performance, and Monday at 7 p.m. is the day. The play will occur at 7 p.m. in the Groom High School auditorium.

The FFA group has moved their scholarship pancake dinner from Tuesday to Monday to prequel the event, creating an opportunity for families to take advantage of having both dinner and a show. Serving at the FFA fundraiser will begin at 5:30 and will continue until the play begins.

The date for the last community performance comes with special significance.Many kids were looking at the calendar trying to find an open date to see if they could squeeze in one more as the year is coming to a close, and the busiest times hit.

“I was stoked when I found out that other schools wanted to come watch,” freshman Justina Coronado said. “But I was also stressed about all the preparation we have to have to pull it off.”

As they were looking for the perfect date, freshman Kaylie Ritter noticed that Monday, April 24, was International Holocaust Remembrance Day. It seemed like a fitting time to do the final performance. Director Aimee Fields agreed.

“I am excited to give the community another opportunity to see our play,” Fields said. “I also think it’s important to honor those who died in the holocaust, and it will be awesome how it connects on this important day.”

Keep an eye out for daily pictures that give a glimpse of life at Groom, and click here to see other Photos of the Day.