10 Rules for Gaming

Tanis Terbush Shares His List for Video-Game Success

Eighth-grader Tanis Terbush plays

Eighth-grader Tanis Terbush plays "Guitar Hero" on the Xbox One. In Terbush's attached column, he gives his "Top 10 Rules" about playing video games. Work Together. Rule No. 9 follows: "You have to actually help each other," he said. "You can’t do anything alone, or else the world would never make it. Zander (Mays) and I always make sure the other makes it."

William Kelly

William Kelly

When it comes to video-gaming, eighth-grader Tanis Terbush says he has 10 rules to help his gamer friends achieve success:

1. Always Compete.

I always have to win. The main point is to do my best and make sure that you don’t give up. I did this with my friend Zander Mays and my cousin William Kelly. We always have to be the best. We never stop and always keep trying.

1. Have Fun.

It’s never a good game unless you have fun. When Caleb Reyna, my older brother, came to visit, my brother Darius Terbush, William, Caleb and I went to the game room, and we played “Halo.” We had a blast, and it was a nice experience with my family.

1. Run Around.

When you are having fun, you just want to move. While in the game, you want to move so that you don’t die. I did this with my family and friends. I always just move. Don’t stop. Keep your head up. It doesn’t matter if you win or lose (though it’s better to win), as long as you have fun and keep moving.

1. Act Crazy.

It doesn’t matter what you do, just act silly. Have fun. Don’t worry about what others think because I think it’s just awesome. I did this when Caleb was here. We just had fun. We didn’t care what everyone thought. We were screaming and yelling. It was amazing.

1. DON’T HURT EACH OTHER.

No matter what happens, don’t worry, don’t get mad if you lose. Don’t hurt each other. I do this all the time, I hate losing, but I still keep playing, and try and win the next time.

1. Get Mad.

Okay, I take that back. Get mad, how else are you supposed to have fun if you don’t get mad? All that determination just disappears, and there is nothing left. I do this all the time, and that is how I win.

1. ATTACK.

Never give up. Get back in there and fight! Don’t ever give up. There is something to win. (Even though non-gamers think it’s pointless. IT’S NOT!) That is not only my gaming goal, it is my goal in life. I do it in every game because I hate losing.

1. Offer a Peace Treaty.

I know it gets hard, but you sometimes need help – like in “Wrestlemania 12” with William all the time. We never let each other die, and we also make it until the end, and then we fight for the win. It makes it much more fun.

1. Work Together.

You have to actually help each other. You can’t do anything alone, or else, the world would never make it. Zander and I always make sure the other makes it.

2. Start a Fight.

If you really like winning, you and your buddy need to find an even match to fight. In “Halo,” I always get put on a team with Darius. We go against William and Ryan. We always keep going for a long time.