The Wonder of Words

Columnists Kaylie Ritter reminds her readers of the following truths:

Columnists Kaylie Ritter reminds her readers of the following truths: "Our words leave marks on everyone we speak to. It is our choice if it will be a good or bad mark. Words have power over everything."

pixabay.com

pixabay.com

Columnist Kaylie Ritter
Gives Reminder:
First think, Then Speak

Words can have an impact on everyone, whether it be good or bad.

“Words are singularly the most powerful force available to humanity. We can choose to use this force constructively with words of encouragement, or destructively using words of despair. Words have energy and power with the ability to help, to heal, to hinder, to hurt, to harm, to humiliate and to humble,” according to author Yehuda Berg, author of The Power of Kabbalah. Of course others throughout the ages have reminded speakers of this same truth.

We go through the days of our life and don’t really give much thought into what our words mean. To us, or the people around us. What we thought of as teasing could hit an insecure spot on your peers. Do they really think that about me? Is that really true? Words spin around in their heads like an F5 tornado on a path of destruction.  They’re stumbling to speak. All they can think about is the words that just came out of our mouth. They give up and turn away.

On the happier note, our good words can mean a lot also. Simple compliments about that person can bring someone’s day from bad to amazing. Small words of reassurance can rebuild self-confidence, building up your self-confidence like a skyscraper. Positive messages full of truth can erase negative doubts. They will be floating on cloud nine for the rest of the day.

Our words have an unbelievable power over someone, and ourselves. Our own words can leave a mark on us too. You’re not good enough. You’ll never make it. Why are you even trying? This can be a punch to a gut. Knocking every ounce of breath out of us on those sleepless nights. Lying in bed, listening to your own voice telling you those same old lies. Over and over again. Trying every distraction technique in the book. Nothing seems to work.

Going through this on your own can be hard, as is, and listening to someone else saying bad things about you can be the final blow, knocking down every bit of self-esteem you built up over the years. The skyscraper of self-confidence comes crashing down. Pieces fly everywhere.

So please, for everyone, I encourage you to think before you speak. You never know the pain someone is going through. Even if they look like everything is perfect, you never know what they go through every night.