Dreaming, Working, Achieving

Kaylie Ritter

More stories from Kaylie Ritter

Tigers Today – Oct. 13
October 13, 2017

Caroline Britten Chases Her Goals After High School

Senior Caroline Britten receives the

Senior Caroline Britten receives the "Tigerette of the Year" award from Coach Nicole Black on Tuesday, May 16 at the annual athletic banquet. Britten has participated in basketball, tennis, track, cross country, National Honor Society, student council, Academic UIL, and One Act Play all through high school. "She is a big role model to not only me, but lots of younger girls," sophomore K'leigh Keesee said.

Lisa Roskens

Lisa Roskens

Senior Caroline Britten runs down the court, setting up a defensive zone with her teammates. The crowd yells in the background, cheering on the Tigerettes.

This scene occurred repeatedly just a few months ago. Basketball was only one of four sports Britten has participated throughout her years of being an ‘Ette.

Britten has lived about 9 miles outside of  Groom her entire life. Her three older siblings, dad and grandfather also attended and graduated from Groom High School.

Britten said she wants a career in speech pathology. Speech pathologists work to diagnose, treat and prevent issues with communication and swallowing disorders. They also help with sign language for those with little to no speech capability. Her junior year in high school, she decided on this career path. Freshman through her junior year, she wanted to be a psychiatrist. But after doing some research, she decided that a position as a speech pathologist was more appropriate for her.

“Speech pathology just seems like the right fit for me,” Britten said. “I’m still unsure of whether I am going to work in a school with young children or a hospital with stroke victims.”

Britten continues to research her career options. After talking to a family friend, I am leaning towards the geriatrics.”

“After talking to a family friend, I am leaning towards the geriatrics,” she said.

Before she gets too serious with preparing for that adult career, though, Britten is still trying to focus on getting the most out of her last year as a high school student.  She has even written a series of columns about experiencing her “last” days and events of school. In her spare time right now, her favorite thing to do is drive around with her friends and listen to music.

Pullquote Photo

We always spend the entire night trying to decide what we’re going to do, and before we know it, the clock says 11:45”

— Caroline Britten

“That’s all there really is to do in Groom,” Britten said. “We always spend the entire night trying to decide what we’re going to do, and before we know it, the clock says 11:45.”

She said she also loves to travel and has been to Europe and other places far from her family’s Panhandle farm. Yet, she doesn’t plan to head to far away for college. Britten plans on attending West Texas A&M University in the fall to get her undergraduate degree in communication disorders.

“She is a big role model to not only me, but lots of younger girls,” sophomore K’leigh Keesee said.

Britten has participated in basketball, tennis, track, cross country, National Honor Society, student council, Academic UIL, and One Act Play all through high school.

But, perhaps, the biggest impact she has had has been on those closest to her: family members. Britten’s older sister sent this note too the journalism staff to share with the senior:

Caroline, you are such an amazing gift to our family. I barely remember what life was like before you were born, but I know it is much more entertaining with you in it,” Lainie Eilenberger said. “Your childlike innocence reminds us all how we are supposed to live our lives.You leave everyone and everything a little bit better off than you found them, and you have always been one of the most thoughtful and caring persons I know. I am looking forward to watching you go through this next chapter of your life. Remember to stay true to yourself, and if you ever are weary, know that you have a loving family and community to turn to.  God Bless you, Caroline!”