Rollin’ in a New Tiger Ride

Buses Scheduled to Arrive Soon

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rollin’ in a New Tiger Ride

New buses are on their way. The school board voted to invest in two buses on Dec. 20, 2016. Groom ISD purchased a 46-passenger activity bus as well as another 71-passenger Bluebird route bus.

New buses are on their way. The school board voted to invest in two buses on Dec. 20, 2016. Groom ISD purchased a 46-passenger activity bus as well as another 71-passenger Bluebird route bus. "I'm super excited about getting the new buses," senior Caroline Britten said. "They look really sharp."

Leslie Germany

Leslie Germany

Leslie Germany

Chandra Rice, Staff Writer

One of the new changes for this semester will help athletics as well as academics, and students should no longer be left stranded because of breakdowns. A new red-and-black activity bus, as well as a new yellow route bus, are on their way.

The 46-passenger activity bus will have USB ports for students to charge their laptops and phones. The route bus will hold 71 passengers.

“We are trying to get the activity bus on WI-FI, so our students will be able to do any work or homework that they need to get done,” Lamb said.

Also on the activity bus, there will be four DVD sets. Those sets will make the rides more productive for the students as well as their sponsors. For example, for basketball or football, the coaches will be able to show their athletes the game film, or teachers could share educational and/or inspirational offerings while traveling to and from scheduled events.

“We have needed to update our transportation for a while now,” Lamb said.

On both of the buses, the interior will be similar. They will have bucket backs for the seats and vinyl coverings. The buses have been purchased from Bluebird.

“We wanted both buses to come from the same place,” Lamb said.

The school board voted to invest in the two buses on Dec. 20, 2016. The buses could arrive soon as the school was given a 45-to-60-day delivery date. The school board made the single-company purchase decision. According to Lamb, the administration and board looked at options from both the International (Navistar’s IC Bus) as well as the Blue Bird companies. Groom currently owns buses from both of these businesses.

“We have had trouble with the International, and the fact that the Blue Bird has lasted 23 years played a big role in the decision.”

“Being a coach,” Nicole Black said, “Not having to worry about breaking down is great.”

Students also are looking forward to the new ride options.

“I am excited,” athlete Justina Coronado said. “For once, we will have a bus that won’t break down – and has heat.”

The activity bus has a Cummins ISL 13 diesel engine, and the new route will have a Cummins B 6.7 diesel engine. Both of the buses should have a positive impact on the documented transportation issues the district has experienced this year.

“The activity bus will be nice,” Lamb said. “Our students deserve it. Our community deserves it.”