Dribbling Toward Success

Tigerettes Host Clinic For Grades K-6th

Madison Friemel

Junior Chelsey Lamb practices her shooting form in preparation for the basketball clinic that is to be held in the big gym on Nov. 5. The ‘Ettes’ will be running the fundamentals clinic for grades kindergarten through sixth. “It is especially important (to me) because we need to help input the idea of good basketball skills for the students at a young age,” freshman Ginna Miller said. Admission is $15 per student and includes free entry at the ‘Ettes’ home basketball game on Jan. 13.

The Groom Tigerette basketball program will be hosting a clinic for grades kindergarten through sixth in the big gym on Saturday, Nov. 5.

The clinic will last from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30, and during that time students will be working on the basic fundamentals of basketball. The clinic will be open to girls and boys with an entry fee of $15 per student and also includes free entrance at the ‘Ettes’ home game on Friday, Jan. 13.

“The clinic is about letting the girls get out there and work with the younger ones,” Tigerettes head basketball coach Nicole Black said. “They need to establish their position as role models for the younger students.”

After the students have finished their training, community and family members are welcome to come up to the gym and watch the inner-squad scrimmage between the ‘Ettes’ at 11:30 a.m.

“It ( the scrimmage) is to give the community a little sneak peak of what to expect for the season,” Black said.

This clinic is not Black’s first time putting on an activity for the youth. At past schools, Black has hosted many camps and clinics for the same purpose.

“I have always done a summer camp, but this will be my second time hosting an in-season clinic,” Black said.

The Tigerette basketball team members said they are be looking forward to teaching the young boys and girls who attend the clinic.

“It is especially important (to me) because we need to help input the idea of good basketball skills for the students at a young age,” freshman Ginna Miller said.

The girls will teach and direct students throughout the morning through drills that improve dribbling, post work, and over all coordination and speed. Many of the drills used will be ones selected from the high school girls’ regular practices.

“The girls will do the teaching,” Black said. “The best way to learn is to teach others.”