Groom’s Take on White House ‘Race’

Groom Poll Puts Donald Trump in Lead

Ginna Miller

There’s a lot of discussion about the presidential candidates and the race for the presidency.Here at Groom school, the Journalism department took votes from both students and staff members.”I feel like I’m on a playground watching a bunch of children fight,” social studies teacher Jowannah Powers said. “My vote is not going to be based on a person, but will be based on a party.”

There’s a lot of discussion about the presidential candidates and the race for the presidency. The real question is this one: What do the polls look like, and how do people feel about them? Here at Groom school, the Journalism department took votes from both students and staff members. Among students and faculty members who participated in the GroomTigerTimes.com school poll, Republican Donald Trump won handily.

“I feel like I’m on a playground watching a bunch of children fight,” social studies teacher Jowannah Powers said. “My vote is not going to be based on a person, but will be based on a party.”

There have been some revelations about both Trump and Hillary Clinton, making them both seem unfit for the presidency.

“Neither candidates are perfect,” welding and math teacher Jennifer Carter said. “But, as a Christian, there is only one candidate that I feel stands by the majority of our morals.”

Even students too young to vote have an opinion about this year’s election. They feel that the debates, as well as the candidates “racing” to live in the White House, are all foolish.

“I think the candidates are childish,” freshman Kodi Tiffin said. “Even when they were asked to say something positive, they continued to insult each other.”

While some people who were asked approached the election questions with a more humorous approach, others had a quite serious take on what is in the future for the country.

“We’re doomed no matter what,” junior Lauren Kuehler said. “All the candidates seem to care about is knocking each other down instead of giving educated answers.”

Strong opinions were and are being voiced about this year’s election, especially the candidates who are running. In the poll taken at Groom High School, 102 students and faculty members have voted for the candidate they think should be president. They also had to answer this question: If they were 18, would they or would they not vote? This poll, completed in early October was taken prior to the Trump bus incident as well as the Clinton WikiLeak revelations.

“I think that both candidates have a lot of problems,” freshman Katelyn Burger said. “The media portrays Clinton as the victim and they don’t shed light on the other side of the story.”

Only three candidates were placed on the Groom poll because these were the only three who qualified ballots for all 50 states: Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Gary Johnson. Of the 102 Groom School respondents, Trump led with 62 votes, Johnson followed with 18 votes and Clinton took a total of 14 votes. Twelve people were undecided and three people chose none of this year’s candidates. Eighty people said they would vote this year, and 22 said they would not.

“I do not see the presidential race as what’s best for the country,” sixth-grader Samantha Stoffers said. “I see it as a waste of time.”