Forever Red … Ready to Run

Coach Kylee Armenta Leads Athletes, Students

Chelsey Lamb

More stories from Chelsey Lamb

Academic Attainment
December 19, 2016
Coach Kylee Armenta makes sure shes available to her students as she is to her athletes. Armenta, the new cross country and assistant girls basketball coach, also teaches math for grades six through 12th. During sixth-period, she can be found leading the fifth-grade physical education class. “I love it in Groom. The school spirit is great, and I feel like everyone has to work hard to make things flow, Armenta said. I don’t think you can be lazy and work in a small school.”

Chelsey Lamb

Coach Kylee Armenta makes sure she’s available to her students as she is to her athletes. Armenta, the new cross country and assistant girls basketball coach, also teaches math for grades six through 12th. During sixth-period, she can be found leading the fifth-grade physical education class. “I love it in Groom. The school spirit is great, and I feel like everyone has to work hard to make things flow,” Armenta said. “I don’t think you can be lazy and work in a small school.”

The 90-plus-degree heat beat down on athletes who ran circles around town after a nine-period day of classes at Groom ISD. But, these high school students kept running, though, in spite of the weather and fatigue obstacles that they faced, and they did so for one key reason. Coach Kylee Armenta, who sports braided, natural red hair with her athletic gear, asked them to do so.

Groom fans have a few more opportunities to see the cross country athletes in action this season, including at the Groom cross country meet this Saturday, Oct. 1, starting at 9 a.m. Armenta, the new cross country and assistant girls basketball coach, also teaches math for grades six through 12th. During sixth-period, she can be found leading the fifth-grade physical education class.

“I grew up in Roscoe, Texas,” Armenta said. “I also attended college at Texas A&M, in College Station.” 

Armenta has been teaching and coaching for five years.

“I love it in Groom. The school spirit is great, and I feel like everyone has to work hard to make things flow,” Armenta said. “I don’t think you can be lazy and work in a small school.”

As basketball season rolls closer, Armenta will work side-by-side with Nicole Black to lead the girls’ team this fall.

“Working with Coach Black is easy because we have the same views on coaching and the same beliefs,” Armenta said.

The two coaches met this past year, and then following a series of text messages, they made time for a face-to-face session.

“At first we ‘facebook-creeped’ each other,” Armenta said. “Then we arranged a meeting at the regional cross country meet last year. Our parents had actually gone to college (together) before, so they already knew each other.”

Armenta’s strategy for coaching is “hard work” and “improving” a little at every practice. She said she incorporates this belief into her time in the classroom as well.

“I got into teaching math because my mom teaches it,” Armenta said. “I like it the most because it is challenging and hard to understand without a little work.”

Armenta’s family encouraged her to become a coach, and now her experiences already have produced reasons that show her she made the right career choice.

“My favorite memory from coaching was when I had a kid wipe out on the track last year at district,” Armenta said. “I had just had ankle surgery, but when I saw her fall, I dropped my crutches and ran to her.”

This action moved Armenta’s athlete to tears.

“She cried because I had run to her even though I was hurt,” Armenta said.

With each practice, each meet and each game, Armenta said she intends to seek the same goal for every sport and for every athlete.

“All we can do is get better.”