Spirit, Spirit! Let’s Hear It!

Booster Club Helps Show Tiger Spirit

Ginna Miller

As shown in the picture, spirit ribbons can be either small or large. They can be different patterns and designs as long as they bring school spirit to students, teachers and faculty. “We’ve always thought it would be a great way to show the Tigers we are behind them all the way,” Kathleen Barkley said.

Have you seen these red-and-black ribbons on student and faculty members’ cars around town and wondered what they are? According to local experts, those could be considered tradition in action.

Every game day, Booster Club members adorn cars in the Groom High parking lot with vibrant ribbons. According to the people who help with this spirit-promoting gesture, this practice has been happening for years.

“I thought it would be neat for the kids to realize how long it has been done,” Booster Club member Kathleen Barkley said.

Barkley identified two key women who started the tradition, and those women – Judy Miller and Karen Case – began that work about 30 years ago.

“We made everything homemade for the first few years out of strips of material as a clever way to encourage the kids,” community member Karen Case said. “Now everything is bought.”

They are noticed by both students and faculty, as well as community members around town. Many have strong feelings about this 30-year tradition.

“I like them,” Coach Niki Black said. “I think they are really cute, but I wish they were only tied on my side view mirror and not on my windshield wipers.”

The Groom ISD cheerleaders appreciate the gesture made by the Groom Booster Club, which helps continue the spirit ribbon tradition.

“I think they’re cute,” junior Jamey Germany said. “And, I like that the Booster Club is helping us get the spirit flowing.” 

Not only do cheerleaders say they love the support, but also football players have taken notice of the tradition.

“It’s very thoughtful,” senior Carson Ritter said.

Spirit ribbons bring back some pride, tradition and support for our Tigers. Coaches find it an effective way to boost the spirit of the players.

“I think they’re a fun way to show our support for the Tigers,” Coach Larry Roskens said.

The spirit ribbons have been around a long time and will probably continue the tradition for many years to come.

“We’ve always thought it would be a great way to show the Tigers we are behind them all the way,” Barkley said.