Seeing Pink … Focusing on Survival

Cancer Awareness Event Gets Personal

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seeing Pink … Focusing on Survival

The Dennis family - Marci, Cole, Harper, Raegan and Jym, continue to try to keep life as normal as possible despite Marci's breast cancer diagnosis.

The Dennis family - Marci, Cole, Harper, Raegan and Jym, continue to try to keep life as normal as possible despite Marci's breast cancer diagnosis. "I admire her because not only has she endured the treatments," student council adviser Cindy Babcock said. "But she has continued to pursue her degree as well as keeping up with her family." The Groom Student Council is selling "Pink Out" t-shirts to raise awareness of the problem of breast cancer. T-shirts need to be purchased by Wednesday, Sept. 28. Contact the school office for more information at (806) 248-7474.

Photo Courtesy Cindy Babcock

Photo Courtesy Cindy Babcock

Photo Courtesy Cindy Babcock

If Marci Babcock Dennis would have waited to the suggested time to get her first mammogram, she may not have lived to the doctor-recommended age of 40.

In honor of Dennis and women everywhere battling breast cancer, the Groom Student Council is selling “Pink Out” t-shirts for all fans to wear at the game on Oct. 7 to show their support for survivors and to remember those who have lost their fight to this disease.

“This year, the “Pink Out” t-shirt project hits closer to home and has more emotion than years past,” student council sponsor and Dennis’s mother Cindy Babcock said. “Our “Pink Out” game will be five days before Marci’s surgery, and she will definitely be on my mind.”

At the age of 33, Dennis was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer. It’s been a long five months for Dennis as she has gone through chemotherapy treatments, which included the drug named “Red Devil.” Yet, she has not let it take over her time with her family; it has only brought them closer together.

“I admire her because not only has she endured the treatments,” Babcock said. “But she has continued to pursue her degree as well as keeping up with her family.”

The “Pink Out” t-shirts will be sold for $13; they will be sold for $15 for sizes 2x and 3x. All those who order will receive their t-shirt before the “Pink Out” game. The orders are due on Wednesday, Sept. 28.

“Selling the ‘Pink Out’ shirts is a good way to raise money (to fight) this terrible disease,” student council secretary Leslie Germany said. “The student council wants to show their support for those battling.”

Dennis, herself, though, has a piece of advice for all women out there:

“It’s important to do self checks,” she said. “Without checking it myself, it would have been seven years until I would have gotten a mammogram, and I would not have made it.”