‘Tiger Cycle’ Set to Save-A-World

Eighth-graders Enter Recycling Competition

William Kelly

Red, black and white-covered cardboard boxes have found a home in each classroom in school. The eighth-grade class, under the direction of social studies instructor Jowannah Powers, has created a paper recycling program. “Instead of throwing away good paper, let’s turn it into something great,” Tré Byers said.

Some resolutions stick, and last year’s seventh-graders decided to make a difference by putting in some extra effort and work with a recycling program. This year, as eighth-graders, their work continues – and it continues on a competitive level.

The eight-grade class has been recycling paper since last year. The students are the ones who suggested this project to their social studies teacher Jowannah Powers. Now, the group has taken their project one step further by competing in the “Recycle Bowl.”

According to the challenge given at the Keep America Beautiful, students can “collect and track the weight of your recyclables for four weeks during the Recycle-Bowl competition.”

The current contest goes from mid-October to the end of November, Powers said.

“I think recycling will benefit the school in many ways,” Zander Mays said.

According to the 14 members of the eighth-grade class, recycling “is important” to think about for the future. The students said they intend to keep this program, which they call “Tiger Cycle,” going throughout their school years.

“Recycling helps us express the way we feel about the usage of the school’s paper,” Shawn Meaker said.

Through the boxes placed in the classrooms, all students have access to participate in “Tiger Cycle.”

“I think that it keeps us busy,” Braxton Johnson said. “We will also get to keep it (the recycling program) until we are seniors.”

The students have been taking up the paper every Friday. The class rotates responsibilities with different students taking and picking up the paper every week. As of mid-September, they had collected 384 pounds of paper.

“Instead of throwing away good paper, let’s turn it into something great,” Tré Byers said, as he encouraged others to participate.

According to the class, a discussion about the “Don’t Mess with Texas” campaign in social studies kicked off the effort.

“The whole thing started one day after talking about taking care of Texas,” Powers said.

According to her, the students realized that the world’s resources are being wasted, and the class did not like the idea of its state being harmed by an abundance of trash.

When we started Tiger Cycle, “we were thinking about our future and where it is going,” Powers said.