Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Back to Article
Back to Article

Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Girls Generation, a Korean singing group, poses for a publicity photo. Junior Julie Sierra presents readers the differences between Korean pop (K-pop) and American pop, including highlighting the way singers interact with fans. K-pop has been grabbing increased attention from American music lovers.

Photo Courtesy of StaticFlickr.com

Photo Courtesy of StaticFlickr.com

Photo Courtesy of StaticFlickr.com

Many Americans see the music industry as a place where one achieves success alone; starting from the bottom and working – or singing, as the case may be, up.  That’s how westerners do it anyway, but many foreign countries do it differently. South Korea’s K-pop is just one example.

Yet, people talk about N SYNC and the Backstreet Boys being formed by companies and not by knowledge of the other members before that. Some criticize companies for that and say “it’s not right, or it’s not the ‘American’ way.” South Korea’s music industry has kids audition and enter training camps to be able to become a trainee under different music companies between five to 15 years, depending on how much training the musician needs. What those citizens don’t realize is K-pop has become a widely popular topic and countless Americans listen to it.

I asked freshman Matthew Bowen what he thought of K-pop and what he thought about the video of Girls Generation “I Got A Boy.”  “I can see why people may like it, but I don’t. The girls need to put on some clothes,” Bowen said. “There were a lot of them in there too.”

Girls Generation, well-known K-pop example, is one of the most popular girl groups in both the United States and in South Korea. They have been shown on “The Late Show with David Letterman.” K-pop has been taking over the U.S. foreign music billboards by storm.

When most Americans think of pop music, they think of The Beatles, Madonna or Michael Jackson. Never once did they think in the beginning that there would be a different country’s pop music coming here. In a chart showing popular music categories in November 2010, American pop music was at 31 million Americans while K-pop was at 19 million. Then K-pop‘s popularity skyrocketed over the past few years. Now K-pop has become more popular than regular pop music, taking the lead at 100 million to 30 million. There were 87 new groups and solo artists debuting just last year. Famous male groups and solo artists are TVXQ, also known as the “King of Pop,” debuted in 2003 and is still up high on the charts along with Psy aka “King of Youtube,” debuting in 2012.

What comes along with pop music and famous stars is the scandals and secrets. Here in America, most singers are secretive or just don’t like the press. Every time a star hides something, people find out and make a big deal of the secret. K-pop stars are different. They write about whatever they are feeling and what they like to do for their fans. They take pictures for Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter and Facebook. They freely talk to fans, too. Fans can send them tweets, snap chats, and messages to their favorite idol and get a message back more often than not (if the stars aren’t busy with work or messaging other fans).

No one really knows why people love K-pop or why not. Whatever people like is up to them. To quote Captain Hector Barbossa, a character from “Pirates of the Carribean, “The parameters are like rules, mostly guidelines. No one has to like the music everyone else does; but, if you haven’t yet, K-pop might be worth checking out to see just why so many people are tuning in to hear its messages.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop”

1. Daisy on October 12th, 2017 11:48 am

I think kpop music is better because it sometimes has a really deep meaning to it like for ex. ‘Not Today’ by bts…..the meaning is to never give up on things,if you fall down just get back up.👍🏾❤️❤️

2. Linh Ngs on November 10th, 2017 7:52 am

Pop music is better than Kpop, in my opinion. It’s just sooooooo deep and you get into it after watching an mv. OMG, idk, I totally fell in love with us pop it’s just soo good. And the singers are better too <3 <3

3. Jade on November 27th, 2017 6:14 am

Yes

4. Jade on November 27th, 2017 6:14 am

Personally, I think pop music is better because it’s nicer to listen to and more of the country people know English so is easier for them to understand. (I’m not a Korean), and I learned lots of good vocab….

5. Rem on April 30th, 2018 2:50 pm

KPOP IS WAYYYYYYY BETTER!!!!

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

Poetry is Reckless but Lovely

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

The Art of The Dutch

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

Peek at a White Wonder

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

Carpenter… Harvester… Mechanic… Best of all Father

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

The Animal You’ve Never Heard About

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

Christmas Care …

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

Molding Success

• Columns

A Series of One Last Times …

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

From Summer Cross Country to Start of School …

• Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop

Columns

The Wonder of Words

Korean Pop Music vs. American Pop